Indian Bean and Potato Thing
Ingredients (use vegan versions):
- 2 cans garbanzo beans
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped (sweet onions also work well)
- 1 or 2 tomatoes (preferably organic because the color is redder, which looks better)
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper (I usually add a whole tsp, but that's just me)
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 potato, peeled and chopped
- 2 tablespoon vegetable oil
Fry the onion in oil until slightly brown. Add onion, chopped tomatoes, garbanzo beans (and two cans full of water), garlic powder, salt, and black pepper to pot on medium high heat. Let cook for 20 minutes. Add chopped potato. I usually add a little bit of red pepper and chili powder here, but it's not necessary. Let cook for another 20-25 minutes. Add red pepper, cumin, and chili powder. Reduce heat to medium low and cook for another 5-7 minutes.
Ideally, the final product should be a very thick mixture and not runny at all--if it is, drain some of the water.
Serve with rice and vegan pita bread or tortilla.
Preparation time: 50 minutes
|Send recipe to a friend.||Printer friendly version|