Barley and Wild Rice Pilaf with Pomegranate Seeds
Ingredients (use vegan versions):
- 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup wild rice, rinsed
- 1/2 cup pearl barley
- 3 cups reduced-sodium vegetable broth
- 1/3 cup pine nuts
- 1 cup pomegranate seeds
- 2 teaspoons freshly grated lemon zest
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
I also posted this recipe over in the Thanksgiving section, but it is also great any time in the Autumn!
If you want to prepare this ahead of time, fridge the dish and don't add the Pomegranate seeds, lemon zest, toasted pine nuts or parsley until after it has been reheated. Add a bit of water and cover it in the micro.
1. Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and cook, stirring often, until softened. Add wild rice and barley; stir for a few seconds. Add broth and bring to a simmer. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer until the wild rice and barley are tender and most of the liquid has been absorbed, 45 to 50 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, toast pine nuts in a small, dry skillet over medium-low heat, stirring constantly, until light golden and fragrant, 2 to 3 minutes. Transfer to a small bowl to cool.
3. Add pomegranate seeds, lemon zest, parsley and toasted pine nuts to the pilaf; fluff with a fork. Serve hot.
Preparation time: 20 min.
|Send recipe to a friend.||Printer friendly version|